Today we played a variation of “Simon Says” in preparation for our lesson on Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego in the fiery furnace.
- Explain that you are King Nebuchadnezzar & you will call out various commands for the kids to follow
- Tell the kids when you give a command, you expect it to be followed immediately! …after all, you are the KING!
- Warn them that you might throw in a few commands that they should NOT obey…even though the king says to do it! Tell the kids you’ll be watching closely who can figure out which commands God would not want them to obey!
- Begin giving basic commands similar to Simon Says
- Some examples:
-Nebuchadnezzar says touch your nose!
-Nebuchadnezzar says hop on one foot!
-Nebuchadnezzar says cluck like a chicken
– Nebuchadnezzar says waddle like a duck
-Nebuchadnezzar says nod your head
-Nebuchadnezzar says jump up & down
….and so on
***Unlike Simon Says, where some commands begin w/ “Simon Says” & some don’t….in this game, begin EVERY command with “Nebuchadnezzar says….”
- After several routine “Nebuchadnezzar says” commands…add in a command that says: “Nebuchadnezzar says bow down & worship my statue!” (Hopefully the kids will catch themselves & remember they’re only supposed to bow down & worship God!)…if not…be sure to catch them & remind them of Gods command!
- Go back to a few more regular/silly commands & then add: “Nebuchadnezzar says eat the King’s food!” (Again, use this as a teaching moment to share how Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego & Daniel handled that situation!)
- Do a few more silly commands & finish w/ “Nebuchadnezzar says bow down & worship GOD!” (Share with the kids that after Nebuchadnezzar saw God rescue Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego from the fiery furnace, he decreed that no one should speak against their God!)