Game: Soup’s On!
- Coded puzzle on Esau selling his birthright from Sermon’s 4 Kids (or make your own), cut out the decoder key & cut each line into long strips (1 decoder & 8 strips of paper per team); see link below:
- Construction paper cut into 8 vegetable shapes (or use clip art), each one lettered to spell “P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E” (see illustration at top of page); 8 vegetable shapes per team
- Large soup pot
- Writing utensils for each child
- Divide kids into teams
- Give each child a writing utensil and a strip with one coded puzzle on it
- Give each team a copy of the code key
- Explain these are the “noodles” for the soup
- Each team should work together to decode the 8 puzzles given to their team
- As each child completes their puzzle, they may run to the front of the room & place their strip of paper in the soup pot at the front of the room
- When they have put all of their “noodles” (aka strips of paper w/ decoded puzzle) in the pot, each team member receives a vegetable with a letter on it. The team that can put the vegetables in the proper order to spell the “mystery” word first wins the game.
- When a team places the vegetable letters in the right order, they may raise their hands. A teacher will come verify that they are correct. They may then put their vegetables in the pot.
- Hint: The mystery word is something that Esau needed when he was hungry!
Tips and Tricks:
- Assign an adult or older child to each team if possible
- Tell the teams not to shout out their word when they get it in the right order, so that other teams may continue to work to find the correct answer